• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland





    Please, read the following information carefully, register your visa application at


    Personal appearance and appointment is necessary to apply for a visa.


    Please remember to print out your application after submitting it online.


    For inquiries please mail
    or call +1 646 237 2100, choose 2 for 'English' and 7 for 'Visas to Poland'

    Please, read the information below before contacting us and only if the subject is not covered on the website.



    Do you need a visa to Poland?


    Check the list of countries whose citizens may travel to Schengen States without visa and stay there up to 90 days


    United States citizens may travel to Poland (and other Schengen countries) for up to 90 days without a visa.
    For longer visits, please apply for a national visa, type D.


    Dual citizens, with both Polish and American citizenship, should use their Polish passports when crossing the border of Poland.



    Where to apply for a visa?


    Individuals must apply personally for a visa at the appropriate consulate. The Consulate General of Poland in New York serves only customers legally residing in its consular district consisting of the following states: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont (other Polish consulates in the US: here).


    The application can be submitted at the Consulate General of Poland only if the main destination is Poland. If other Schengen country is the main destination in terms of lenght or purpose of stay, you should apply at the consulate of that country.


    If you intend to visit multiple countries in the Schengen area and you will stay in each of them exactly the same amount of nights then you must apply at the consular office of the country you will enter first.



    When to apply for a visa?


    The applicant needs to apply for a visa in person not earlier than 3 months and not later than 15 calendar days before a planned trip!


    There is no expedited service to process an application.


    Visa processing time: 15 calendar days from the personal appearance at the Consulate. In individual cases, processing may take up to 30 days.



    What type of visa do you need?


    1. Schengen visa (type C). A uniform visa issued by one of the Schengen countries is valid for the entire territory of all the Schengen countries. You have to apply for a visa at the consulate of the country that is the main destination of your visit.


    A short stay Schengen visa is issued for up to 90 days within a 6-months period (180 days).


    2. National visa (type D). A long stay visa is issued for more than 90 days but no longer than 365 days.  National visas are issued mainly for the purpose of study, work or for the Card of the Pole (Karta Polaka) holders.


    3. Airport transit visa (type A). Airport visa is valid only for transit through the international area of the airport on the territory of the Schengen states. It does not allow its holder to leave the airport. Airport visas are required from the citizens of: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Congo (Democratic Republic), Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia and Sri Lanka.


    How to apply for a visa?


    1. Make an appointment and register your visa application at Fill the application online, submit it, print it and bring it with you for your interview.


    2. Come personally for your interview, with the documents listed below. You have to apply for a visa in person.


    List of required documents


    • VISA APPLICATION FORM. Each applicant shall submit personally a registered at website, completed, printed and signed application. Each person included in the applicant's travel documents must submit a separate application form. Minors shall submit an application form signed by a person exercising permanent or temporary parental authority or legal guardianship.
    • 1 PHOTOGRAPH, in color, passport size, taken within the last 6 months against plain white background, with mouth closed.
    • PASSPORT or equivalent travel document, valid for at least 3 months after the date of intended departure from Poland, with at least two blank visa pages, issued within the last 10 years + copy of the passport's data page (one with a photo).
    • PROOF OF LEGAL RESIDENCE in the United States of America and a valid re-entry document: original of Permanent Residence Card (so called Green Card) or U.S. resident visa type A, E, F (with endorsed I-20 - each endorsement is valid for one year, may be used for re-entry of the student), G, H, I, J plus J1 documents, L, O, R. The U.S. residence permit or a visa and also endorsed I-20 must be valid at least three months beyond the intended departure from the territory of Poland or other Member States (Schengen) + copy of the visa/Permanent Resident Card. Tourists and visitors on B1/B2 and J1 Summer Work Travel visas must apply in their country of residence.
    • FLIGHT RESERVATION (confirmed and verifiable) to Poland and the flight back to the United States. The reservation must contain the name of the passenger and a confirmation number verifiable online. If several Schengen States will be visited OR if the trip covers several Schengen States and non-Schengen countries - full itinerary.
    • HOTEL RESERVATION (confirmed and verifiable) made for the entire stay in Poland and other countries visited or an invitation from the host (e.g. member of family, friend) with an address and a copy of an ID of the host. The hotel booking must contain the name of the guest and a confirmation number verifiable online.
    • PROOF OF TRAVEL MEDICAL INSURANCE: Confirmation letter from your health insurance company stating coverage for emergency medical, hospitalization and repatriation with a minimum of 30,000 Euros (or 50,000 USD) for trips outside the U.S.
      A copy of an insurance card or a letter from your employer is not sufficient as a proof of insurance. If you do not have insurance, or your insurance company cannot provide such a specific letter, you must purchase insurance for the entire duration of your trip and provide proof of purchase with zero deductible.
    • PROOF OF SUFFICIENT FINANCIAL MEANS: e.g. last 3 bank account statements with name and address of the owner(s),
      or a proof of regular income, e.g. pay slips of last 3 months, or student loan agreement. A minimum of 40 USD per day is required to cover expenses plus enough money to cover the costs of a return trip.
    • REFERENCE LETTER FROM EMPLOYER if the applicant is employed. If self-employed, tax return and the original business registration.




    • BUSINESS TRIP (Schengen, C): a reference letter from the US employer confirming applicant’s position and the fact that
      a business trip to Poland is intended and a letter of invitation from the Polish company or branch of the company located in Poland.
    • CONFERENCE, SPORT or CULTURAL EVENT (Schengen, C): an invitation or a confirmation of participation addressed to the applicant by the organizer or an admission ticket.
    • SCHOOL TRIP (Schengen, C): a letter from the school/college, that indicates in particular proof of sponsorship, purpose of visit, contact details, the address of the accommodation and the trip's itinerary.
    • TRANSIT VISA (Schengen, C): a trip plan, a visa of the country of the next destination (if required) and information enabling an assessment of the applicant's intention to leave the territory of the Member States before the expiration of the visa applied for.
    • STUDENT VISA (national, D): a letter of admission from a Polish school/university or a letter confirming that the student continues the studies (IMPORTANT! according to the enclosed pattern), bank statements from the last three months, or a notarized letter of financial support from a parent with bank statements from the last three months, or from a legal guardian or sponsoring company.
    • WORK VISA (national, D): a work permit issued by Wojewoda in Poland. Employment without prior authorization is strictly prohibited. Work visas are issued for multiple entries and can be valid for as long as the work permit is valid, but no longer than one year (365 days). Work visas are issued only by a Polish Consul in the consular office corresponding to the place where the applicant has his/her legal permanent residence. English language teachers planning to work in Poland at public universities/ colleges or schools must submit a Certificate of Employment issued by the president of that school, instead of the work certificate.
    • CERTIFICATE OF MARRIAGE is required only when the applicant is traveling with a spouse as a dependent or when a spouse of the applicant is an EU citizen.
    • CERTIFICATE OF BIRTH of a minor, if parents apply for a visa for a child.





    Acceptable forms of payment  for consular fees are: cash, money order or cashier's check payable to the Consulate General of Poland in New York. Personal checks, credit cards and debit cards are not accepted.


    Visa fees


    Short-stay Schengen visa (C) and long-stay national visa (D) 72 USD

    Short-stay Schengen visa for the citizens of the Russian Federation: 42 USD

    Long-stay national visa for the citizens of the Russian Federation: 72 USD

    Short-stay Schengen visa for the citizens of Ukraine: 42 USD

    Long-stay national visa for the citizens of Ukraine: 0 (no fee)


    Visa fee exemptions:


    • Children under 6 years of age;
    • Foreigners who are spouses of EU citizens;
    • School pupils, students, postgraduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake trips for the purpose of study or educational training (Schengen visas only);
    • Researchers from third countries traveling for the purpose of carrying out scientific research as defined in Recommendation No 2005/761/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of the September 28, 2005 to facilitate the issue by the Member States of uniform short-stay visas for researchers from third countries traveling within the community for the purpose of carrying out scientific research;
    • Representatives of non-profit organizations aged 25 years or less participating in seminars, conferences, sports, cultural or educational events organized by non-profit organizations.
    • 'Karta Polaka' ('Card of the Pole') holders (National visa, type D, only)



    If the visa will be granted, the visa sticker will be affixed to the passport.

    There is an option of mailing the passport with the visa back to the address provided by the applicant at an additional fee of 20 USD. We are not responsible for the passport once it is handed to the delivery company.





    • All supporting documents that are submitted will not be returned.
    • Please make copies of original documents such as a passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, proof of immigration status (Permanent Resident Card, valid visa, forms J1, I-20 etc.) and bring the originals to the review.
    • The Consulate  reserves the right to return incomplete documentation at the applicant’s own risk and cost and the visa fee will not be refunded.
    • The Consulate reserves the right to ask for additional documentation (e.g. proof of applicant's current residence in the US, receipts confirming flight and hotel reservations) or to conduct an additional personal interview with the applicant.
    • The Consulate does not bear any responsibility for any expenses made by the applicant with connection to the upcoming trip.
    • Although the information on this website has been prepared with utmost care, sometimes it is necessary to look directly into the regulations provided by the Schengen and Polish law.


    Please note that possession of a visa to a Schengen territory does not equal an automatic right of entry and that there might be additional entry requirements that apply to all travelers, regardless whether they travel to Poland with or without a visa.

    Drukuj Drukuj Share: