• Faithful to my Homeland, the Republic of Poland




    We kindly ask you to review the list of the frequently asked questions below as well as the visa information and the detailed information about the travel medical insurance. Should you have additional questions that you cannot find answers to here, do not hesitate to contact us by e-mail at



    Do I need a visa to Poland?


    Check the list of countries whose citizens may travel to Poland without visa and stay there up to 90 days. If your country of citizenship is not on the list, you have to apply for a visa.


    United States citizens may travel to Poland (and other Schengen countries) for up to 90 days without a visa. For longer visits, please apply for a national visa, type D.




    I'm a citizen of the United States and I would like to stay in Poland longer than 90 days allowed, can I do that?


    If you are already in Poland, you can apply for a temporary residence permit.If you are still in the US and have a work permit or you've been accepted to a university, you can apply for a national visa.




    I'm a Permanent Resident of the United States, do I need a visa?


    Your citizenship (the passport you hold) defines whether you need a visa or not. Please consult this list to see if you can travel to Poland without a visa.




    I have a US visa, will that suffice as a proof of my legal residence in the United States?


    If you have a visa issued by the US authorities type A, E, F (plus I-20), G, H, I, J, L, O, R valid at least 3 months after your planned departure from Poland (or other Schengen countries visited during the same trip), you live in our consular district and you have a passport of your country also valid at least 3 months after your planned departure, in most cases you are allowed to apply for a visa at the Consulate of Poland.


    We do not accept B1/B2 visitor visas and short-term J-1 type visas, issued for the participants of the work & travel or au pair programs.


    We are not obliged to accept any proof of legal residence in the US and re-entry document other than proper visa or Permanent Resident Card.




    I hold a Travel Document issued by the USCIS, do I need a visa to Poland?


    Yes. Also, please note, that the travel document is not a sufficient proof of your status in the US for the purpose of applying for a visa. Permanent Resident card or a US visa of a certain type is also required.




    I'm going to travel to two or more Schengen countries, including Poland, which consulate should I visit?


    The application can be submitted at the Consulate General of Poland only if the main destination is Poland. If other Schengen country is the main destination in terms of length or purpose of stay, you should apply at the consulate of that country.


    If you intend to visit multiple countries in the Schengen area and you will stay in each of them exactly the same amount of nights then you must apply at the consular office of the country you will enter first.




    I cannot get an appointment at the consulate of the Schengen country that is my main destination. Can I file my application with you instead?






    I have a valid Schengen visa in my passport, issued by a Polish consulate, can I travel to e.g. Germany or France with the same visa?


    Yes, you can. Please check the visa's validity, the number of entries and the maximum duration of stay (both are mentioned on your visa sticker).




    Is it important which Polish consulate in the US will accept my visa application?


    Yes. The Consulate General of Poland in New York serves only customers legally residing in our consular district consisting of the following states: Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island and Vermont (other Polish consulates in the US: here).




    When to apply for a visa?


    The applicant needs to apply for a visa in person not earlier than 3 months and not later than 15 days before a planned trip! There is no expedited service to process an application.




    What type of visa do I need?


    If you are going to stay in the Schengen area for up to 90 days, you should apply for a Schengen visa (type C). If you plan to stay in Poland longer than 90 days, you should apply for a national visa (type D). Please note, that the national visas are being issued only in certain cases (e.g. for the purpose of work or study). As a rule, we don't issue national visas for visiting or tourism.




    I have a connecting flight/layover in Poland, do I still need a visa?


    If you are a citizen of a country that normally is required to possess a visa but you are not going to leave the international area (a.k.a. international transit zone) of the airport when changing planes or waiting for your connecting flight, in most cases you don't need a visa.

    Please note, that citizens of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Congo (Democratic Republic), Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Somalia and Sri Lanka need an airport transit visa (type A), valid for transit through the international area of the airport on the territory of the Schengen states. It does not allow its holder to leave the airport. Some exceptions apply, so contact us, if you are still not sure.



    How to apply for a visa?


    Make an appointment and register your visa application at Fill the application online, submit it, print it and bring it with you for your interview. Come personally for your interview, with the documents listed here.




    I made a mistake in my visa application, can I correct that?


    Please mention the need to correct your application during your interview at the Consulate.




    Can I change the date/time of my appointment?


    If you cannot make it for your appointment, please, let us know. We will cancel your appointment and then you will be able to schedule another one. We kindly ask you not to be late for your appointment.




    Can I get an earlier appointment?


    As a rule - no. In case of a real emergency (e.g. death or hospitalization of a family member who is in Poland), please contact us.




    Do I have to apply personally for a visa?


    Yes. Every time you apply for a visa.




    Can I mail in my visa application?






    Can someone else apply for a visa for me (e.g. wife, husband, secretary, co-worker)?






    My child needs a visa, how to get it?


    The procedure is exactly the same as with an adult, but the application is filed by the parents/legal guardians of the child. The minor (a person under 18 years of age) should be present when the application is being lodged and the parents should both sign the visa application. If the parents cannot be present, we require a written consent of both of the parents with their signatures notarized (by a US or Polish notary public or at one of the Polish consulates or embassies). Also, a birth certificate is necessary, so we know who are the child's parents.




    How long it will take to get a decision on a visa?


    Visa processing time is up to 15 days from the personal appearance at the Consulate. In individual (most complicated) cases, processing may take up to 30 days. Please note, that if you won't deliver all necessary documents at the moment of your appointment, it will make the whole process longer.




    Can I get an expedited service for an extra fee?






    It's less than 15 days before my trip, can I still apply?


    Yes, you can. But we cannot guarantee, that the visa will be ready sooner, than 15 days after the application has been filed at the Consulate.




    I've bought the tickets and booked the hotels, but what if I don't get a visa?


    We are not responsible for any financial losses you will suffer because of the refusal of a visa or if you apply too late and won't get the visa on time. We strongly encourage you to apply for a visa minimum 15 days before your trip and to make sure your documentation is complete and reliable.




    Can I make the flight/hotel reservations and then cancel them to save money?


    No. We randomly check the bookings and if we find them unreliable, it may result in a refusal of a visa.




    Do I need to leave my passport at the Consulate?


    Yes. If the visa will be granted, the visa sticker will be affixed to the passport. If you need your passport during the visa processing, please let us know during your interview.




    Do I have to pick up my passport from the Consulate personally?


    There is an option of mailing the passport with the visa back to the address provided by the applicant at an additional fee of 18 USD. You can also authorize other person to pick up your passport. We are not responsible for the passport once it is handed to the delivery company or the authorized person.




    Will I get my documents back after the processing is finished?


    No, all supporting documents that are submitted will not be returned. Please make copies of original documents such as a passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, proof of immigration status (Permanent Resident Card, valid visa, forms J1, I-20 etc.) and bring the originals to the review.




    Once I get the visa, is it guaranteed that I will enter the Schengen area?


    No. The possession of a visa to a Schengen territory does not equal an automatic right of entry and that there might be additional entry requirements that apply to all travelers, regardless whether they travel to Poland with or without a visa.




    Can I extend my visa?


    A consul do not extend visas. If you are in Poland, in limited, highly justified cases a visa can be extended by the Voivode (Wojewoda).

    Drukuj Drukuj Share: